- Biomass can be used to produce various types of energies in the form of gaseous or liquid fuels.
- Plants, agricultural residues and municipal, animal and human wastes can all be used as biomass.
- Anaerobic fermentation of wet livestock or human wastes to produce biogas.
- High temperature gasification of dry biomass to produce producer gas .
- Fermentation of sugarsto ethanol .
- Thermochemical conversion of biomass to pyrolysis oils or methanol.
- The processing of vegetable oils to biodiesel to produce heat and power.
- As a source of lighting.
- To substitute a part of diesel for machines with dualfuel engines.
- Converted to heat and power by directly burning.
Source: Handbook on Energy Conscious Buildings
Reason: Reduce usage of electricity and dependency on grid supply, conserve