Conservation and efficient utilisation of energy and resources
Priority: Use of local plants and trees for landscaping.
Reason: Plants and trees local to a certain region consume less
Priority: Water efficient low-flow fixtures should be used.
Reason: These help in conserving water. Water closets with dual-flush
help in saving water.
Priority: Facilities for recycling and reusing water should be provided. Waste
water can be treated and used for activities like irrigating plants or used in WC's.
Rainwater harvesting systems should be integrated into the building design so as to utilise maximum possible rain water.
- Rainwater harvesting involves collection and storage of rainwater for future use.
- Rainwater can also be discharged into the ground without loss through evaporation or seepage.
Rainwater can be stored in tanks.
Rainwater can be recharged into the ground.
- The main components of a rainwater harvesting system are:
- The catchment area where the water is collected.
- The conduits through which the harvested water is carried.
- Storage and recharge facilities where the harvested water is stored or recharged
into the ground.
Elements of a typical water harvesting system
- Quality of the harvested water can be assured by:
- Filtering at the origin of rooftop drains.
- Providing a chamber for impurities to settle down.
- Providing a filter bed.
- Water can be recharged into the ground through recharge wells, percolation pits or recharge trenches.
Details of recharge through with percolation pits.
Source of all above images: A water harvesting manual for urban areas
- Recycling of water is another important aspect of water conservation.
- Raw sewage can be recycled using aquatic plants like duckweed and water hyacinth to produce clean water suitable for re-use in irrigation and industry.
- The plants themselves can be harvested and used for producing biogas.
- In these systems natural processes are fully utilised, thus saving a lot of energy.
Reason: Reduce dependency on municipal water supply, conservation of water.